What is Church MEMBERSHIP
Church membership consists of a born-again believer who makes a covenant with the faith family in devoting their time, energy, and resources to the glory of God and the expansion of His kingdom both locally and globally.
HOW TO BECOME A MEMBER AT AHBC
- By profession of faith in Christ and baptism by immersion.
- By presenting oneself as a believer who needs to be scripturally baptized.
- By letter from a Southern Baptist Church.
- By statement of faith in Jesus Christ and testimony of biblical baptism by immersion.
CHURCH MEMBER’S COMMITMENT
- To develop in personal growth (Romans 6:19, Ephesians 4:25, 1 Peter 2:2)
- To be faithful in attendance and participation (Hebrews 10:24-25)
- To support the ministries of the church through giving in personal time, energy, and resources (1 Corinthians 16:1-2, 2 Corinthians 9:6-8, 1 Peter 4:10, Malachi 3:10-12)
- To seek to preserve the unity of the church (Ephesians 4:3)
- To maintain a good testimony toward unbelievers (1 Thessalonians 1:11-12, 4:11-12)
TERMINATION OF MEMBERSHIP
- By transfer of letter when joining another church
- By a member’s death
- By request to remove members by another church
- By church discipline
PROCESS OF MEMBERSHIP
The main way a prospective member initiates this process is by coming forward during the invitation at the close of a service.
The person will share their decision and desire of membership with the pastor.
The pastor will introduce the person to the congregation at the end of the service.
The pastor will contact the person making this decision and explain the membership process. Emphasis will be given on the importance of completing the Membership Covenant form and attending the next New Members Class.
For those professing faith in Jesus Christ, a follow-up contact will be made by the pastor and/or other leader to set a date for baptism. They will be required to attend the New Members Class and sign the Membership Covenant.
The prospective new member is asked to attend New Members Class and complete the Membership Covenant. If, for some reason, the prospective member cannot attend a New Members Class, the pastor will make an interview visit, share the membership information, and receive the Membership Covenant.